The process of claiming a space on the internet, also known as registering a domain name, is one that has numerous benefits when done right, from brand recognition and search engine optimization (SEO) marketing to control and credibility. Every part of the process is essential for these desired results and finding a reliable domain registrar in particular can mean the difference between your website’s smooth operation and constant website issues.
So here are 3 qualities of a reliable domain registrar.
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is a non-profit organization that coordinates the management of the domain name system (DNS) to ensure compliance with policies and guidelines so that you know that a domain registrar accredited by them is at the very least following industry standards like transparency in pricing and data security.
Plus, accreditation means a domain registrar has access to the global domain name system and can register domain names across all top-level domains (TLDs) so that you have a wide selection of domain names to choose from. This is especially important if you already have a specific brand identity that you want to grow an online presence for, whether it’s your lifestyle insights or your professional tiling service.
To check accreditation, you can simply visit the ICANN website and enter the name of a domain registrar in the search bar.
When it comes to having a website, one of your primary concerns should definitely be security, and choosing a domain registrar that takes security seriously means protection against unauthorized access and cyber threats.
Here are some security measures you want to look out for:
- Secure data encryption protocols – like secure sockets layer (SSL) – during registration transfer or management of your domain name
- Two-factor authentication for an added layer of security that necessitates a code in addition to your username and password
- Privacy protection – such as WHOIS privacy protection to prevent the public display of your private information on the WHOIS database
- Regular security updates or vulnerability assessments to ensure up-to-date security systems
Imagine having troubleshooting problems and not being able to contact customer support for help in resolving things as soon as possible. It could mean missing a regularly scheduled blog post or not being able to update customers about a new product launch.
Here are some ways in which customer support greatly contributes to reliability:
- 24/7 customer support available across multiple channels – phone, email, live chat, support tickets, etc
- A knowledgeable support team able to answer questions about registration, setting up, troubleshooting, etc
- A community forum where customers can share knowledge
- Timely updates on the status of reports and a track record of actual solutions
Choosing a domain registrar should be a carefully considered decision so factor in things like accreditation, security, and customer support before you decide.