Basically, XY tables have been designed to provide horizontal motion for a number of automated machinery like assembly robots in a wide range of manufacturing facilities. Generally, automated machinery and robotic arms have just a limited motion range while their bases are made to remain static. This is where X-Y tables come into play. They help to allow these bases to move along the X and Y axis. These XY tables are also called XY Stages and have been described to be linear slides with linear motion bearing which are driven by a linear motor. This linear motor is otherwise referred to as a drive mechanism. These tables are built to provide a higher level of performance positioning along multi-axis.
Platen and Forcer happen to be the two main elements of the XY stage. The forcer element slides above the platen on a frictionless air bearing. There are a number of factors that apply to XY tables and they include; accuracy, required resolution, and repeatability. In the last couple of years, XY tables have been used in a wide range of industries including pharmaceuticals, general manufacturing, machinery, and semi-conductor. In these industries, they offer precision controlled automated movement. They are also used in mechanical application and processes including machinery building, industrial automation equipment, automated measurement, and material handling.
Most of the time, XY tables are mounted horizontally and they happen to be applied in quite a number of applications which may include jet cutting, table swaying, and milling. They are used in these applications depending on their specifications.
Functions Performed By XY Tables
There are a wide range of functions that are performed by an XY table and they include;
- These tables can be used to display railway signs that have been made present above a number of tracks.
- XY tables are also capable of holding traveling cranes as well
- They are used to carry out a number of functions in the design of high-performance applications. They can be used in the assembly process, machine tool process, photonics and fiber optics, vision systems, medical components, laser machining, and semiconductor equipment.
Types Of XY Tables
While there are many types of XY table to choose from, one of the simplest and common ones is the dual system positioning or the two linear degrees.
This type of XY table has a twisted base to the top and lower axis. It has been designed with stainless steel which makes it durable and capable of lasting for a long period of time. One of the fascinating things about this table and others is that they do not need much maintenance. They are easy to make use of and highly accurate. However, it is advised that you pay close attention to them.
XY tables happen to be inter-related with rotary tables with the difference being that rotary tables are used in metalwork. While the rotary tables have been designed for metalwork in mind, it has been used in a number of industries just like XY tables.
What To Consider When Choosing An XY Table
As mentioned earlier, there is a wide range of XY tables that you can choose from to get your desired result. The factors you need to consider when choosing one include;
- The application; the type of application you plan on working on will determine the type of XY table you are to choose from. Most of these XY tables come with various specifications that may make undertaking the application easier or difficult.
- The size; this is another factor that should be taken into consideration when choosing an XY table. The size of the application to be undertaken will determine the type of XY table that should be used.
- Price; the price of the XY table you want to make use of will determine its accuracy and precision. It has been revealed that most of the expensive XY tables have a higher accuracy and precision level making them best for undertaking any type of application or operation. In addition to that, the reliable nature of the XY table should be taken into consideration. The idea behind the use of XY tables is to achieve a higher level of precision and accuracy, so it would not be logical to pick one that does not offer these features.